Wednesday 10 February 2016

Half Kiss, Half Pain, All Callas


I stumbled across Greek avant punk rock outfit The Callas two years ago through their excellent 2013 album Am I Vertical? They are back, again joining with Jim Sclavunos (Grinderman) for Half Kiss Half Pain. The first taste off it, ‘It’s Sunday I’m Bleeding’, has a decidedly hazy Sonic Youth hue to it, melancholy morning comedown lyrics – so far, so good. Am I Vertical? was a surprise in that it jumped all over the place from its spiked post-punk foundation – I am expecting that Half Kiss Half Pain will be the same; the hooks here are plentiful.


Pre-order the album through Inner Ear Records here. NB - since writing this the band has released the album - here are a couple other cuts from it, 'La Jalousie', 'The Great Eastern' (also the name of a film they are making with Lee Ranaldo) and 'River.Drool.Ear.Rope'.






No comments:

Post a Comment